We know that there are other programs out there with missions similar to ours. Although not as common as wish granting organizations for children, other adult wish granting organizations do exist and we think with a mission like ours there’s room for all of us! It’s safe to say that we all want to give adults with life-limiting cancers the same thing: something to look forward to – whether it’s checking an item off the proverbial bucket list or giving someone a chance to pursue a lifelong dream. We’ll let your medical team deal with the physical disease, while we strive to provide you and your loved ones with an emotional elixir that we hope grants you the serenity to accept the things you cannot change and to enjoy your dream, whatever it may be, to the fullest.
We do have some simple guidelines for eligibility.
- Recipients must have been diagnosed with advanced cancer.
- Recipients must be ambulatory and able to meaningfully participate in the Escape.
- Recipients must be 18 years of age or older (be advised that particular Escapes may involve age requirements).
- Recipients must reside in northern Ohio.
- Recipients must be unable to fulfill the request for themselves due to limited financial resources.
- Recipients must not have already been granted an experience by another dream- or wish- granting organization.
- Recipients must be able to travel within 4-6 weeks of completion of application.
It is our goal to grant as many Escapes as we can in a calendar year based on our annual budget and our ability to raise funds to support our mission. Please note that we do have some limitations and the following requests will not be considered:
- International travel
- Anything involving firearms (i.e., hunting)
- Durable medical equipment, medication, therapy, treatment or supplies
- Paying for or supplying caregivers
- Repairs, maintenance or adaptive equipment to property or automobiles
- Legal fees
- Burial or funeral arrangements
- “Surprise” experiences where the recipient is not involved in the planning process
Life is Good No Matter What™ does not receive any state or federal funding at this time. Instead, we rely on the generosity of our donors to help us fund our mission. In order for us to be diligent with our resources and to serve as many people as possible, we ask that applicants be realistic about what we are able to fulfill.
If you are eligible for an Escape, we encourage you to apply for an Escape.
Helpful Hints When Planning Your Escape
If you desire to travel via airline as part of your Escape, please keep in mind the following:
- You must have a valid driver’s license or photo ID and a major credit card.
- We will require a form from your physician stating you are medically stable to travel.
- Escapes that require travel AND overnight accommodations may be limited to two to three nights unless accommodations are being provided by family and friends and don’t require Life Is Good No Matter What™ to incur lodging, transportation and meal expenses beyond the agreed upon number of days.
- Life Is Good No Matter What™ may limit the number of family or friends accompanying the recipient via air travel due to limited resources; however, we will do our very best to accommodate your desired experience.
- Relatives or friends who wish to pay their own way to accompany the recipient must be disclosed to Life Is Good No Matter What™ before the experience takes place.
- All airline travel is booked in economy class. Travelers may need to be flexible regarding travel dates.
- Recipients must arrange for their own medical needs and medical assistance, including but not limited to: oxygen; medication; equipment like wheelchairs or scooters; and treatments like dialysis or nursing care, during their Escape. All of this should be prearranged through your physician before embarking on your Escape.
- Life Is Good No Matter What™ regrets that we cannot assist or take responsibility for any medical emergencies (ambulance transport, ER visit, hospital admission or death) that occurs during the fulfillment of an Escape. We also cannot assist with additional costs (transportation, meals and lodging) that may be incurred by family and friends due to an extended stay resulting from the recipient being hospitalized or dying.
- When requesting an Escape, we ask that your expectations be realistic. It may be your dream to meet Mick Jagger, but a more realistic expectation might be attending a Rolling Stones concert. We are an Ohio-based charity and we do not have connections in the entertainment industry that allow us to set up meet and greets with actors, musicians and professional athletes at this time.
- We receive applications from many different sources and the processing of your application may take some time to be reviewed. Expect to be contacted within three weeks of receipt of your application.
- We are privately funded. We receive no state, federal or grant money at this time; therefore, granting Escapes is solely dependent on the availability of funds.
Apply for an Escape
Currently the majority of our patients are referred through their medical team. In order to be considered, you must meet our recipient criteria and you must follow all of the instructions set forth in our application process. Click here to apply.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.